1. Sleep is necessary…I used to be able to stay up late at night and get up early running on 5 hours of sleep night after night but not any more. I function better with a good night’s sleep.
2. Stuff is overrated…This past year I have worked on downsizing, thinking about each purchase before I make it and analyzing its importance and necessity. I have purchased less stuff by asking myself “What do I really want?” Definitely less stuff!
3. Overeating doesn’t make me feel any better..I’m up about 10 lbs in the past two years. It’s not where I want to be but after working a long day and coming home late, I’m hungry. I’ve overeaten instead of taking the time to eat healthier. I definitely don’t feel better for eating the way I have in the past couple of years. Time for change.
4. Quiet is Essential…My home is busy with two grown children and a grandson. The TV is on almost from the time everyone gets up until the last one goes to bed. The only way I can keep my sanity is to get up early before everyone else for some quiet or retreat to my bedroom for some quiet.
5. Laughing is good…My job is crazy and can be really stressful some days but if I take time to laugh about things that I find funny I can make my day and others better. I’ve learned to laugh at myself.
6. Learning something new makes you smarter…I am stating the obvious here but if you to learn something new you are smarter and you may just learn something new about yourself in the process.
7. I am not a better person for watching TV…We have DirectTV with over a hundred channels. Most evenings after work I find very little interesting to watch on tv. Spending my time reading a new book , time spent writing or diving into a DIY project around the house makes me feel better or at least more productive.
8. Less is definitely more…The less stuff I have the more room I have to be creative. When my kids were little their favorite place to play was the room I had just finished cleaning and decluttering. They would play for hours in a clean room.
9. Hard work makes me feel better…I love the feeling of a completed project or finishing something that just required putting one foot in front of the other and sticking with it to completion.
10. Life with a toddler is always full of surprises…My grandson lives with me and it is always a daily adventure with him. There are times when all you can do is laugh like when the toilet was plugged 10 minutes before Thanksgiving dinner and you find what plugged it was his pacifier he flushed.