Sleep Deprived and Wired

20 Dec


My day started at 2:30 am this morning.  I drove a friend to the airport at 3:30 am so she could fly out to visit her kids for Christmas.  It’s a two-hour drive to the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport from our home.  I dropped her off at the airport at 5:30 this morning and started making my way back home before the snow storm was to begin at 9:00am.  My coffee consumption began at 3:00am and continued throughout the day.

On the way home from the airport I stopped about half-way home in St. Cloud to pick up a couple of Christmas gifts and to take my son’s jacket to the tailor to have the zipper fixed.  She fixed it while I waited and I was back on the road within 15 minutes.  Great service!  The snow began.

 I got sidetracked on my trip to the house and took this picture at a local tree farm.  I got home around 10:00am and planned on changing clothes and hitting my bed for a nap.  I met my husband on the road and he said he needed me at the shop ASAP because we had three car deals we had to write-up.  So much for my nap.  The coffee consumption continued. 

Lunchtime we drove to the next town nine miles to write-up one of the three car deals.  The gentleman asked if we could come to his home to write-up the papers because they were in the middle of funeral arrangements for his wife who died.  My heart goes out to his family. 

After writing up the car deal it was on the road again with a quick stop at our house before heading back to the St. Cloud area to pick up a car that was at the transportation lot.  My husband decided that we would pick up the car and then finish up the rest of the Christmas shopping. 

This is the picture I took from the passenger seat on the way to the transportation lot.  The snow was continuing in earnest as well as my coffee drinking.

Farther down the road the traffic came to a standstill as there were seven cars in the ditch and three tow trucks working on removing them.  We picked up our car from the transportation lot and took a different route than the freeway into St. Cloud.  We had to keep pulling over to clear our windshield of the ice and snow so we could see.  The wipers couldn’t keep up. 

We made a quick trip into the mall to get the last items we needed and then hit the road again for home.  Just before we left St. Cloud to head for home our daughter called to tell us that the freeway was closed due to two jack-knifed semis and that we should take the back roads home.   Our normal 45 minute drive home took an hour and 15 minutes.  I struggled to stay awake and continued drinking coffee. 

As I write this post it is now 10:30 pm.  My body is definitely ready for bed but I just can’t seem to shut the mind off.  The kids in town are hoping for a snow day tomorrow morning or at least a late start. 

The snow continues….That means a car lot to clear in the morning.


Posted by on December 20, 2010 in Holidays, Life Happens, Uncategorized


Tags: , ,

12 responses to “Sleep Deprived and Wired

  1. JoDee Luna

    December 21, 2010 at 12:37 am

    Your photo is stunning. How did you get that lavender hue?

    • flyinggma

      December 21, 2010 at 8:30 am

      Good Morning JoDee. I didn’t do anything special to get the lavender hue. Yesterday morning it was overcast and snowing when I took the picture. I was afraid it would be too dark but that is just how it turned out. Thanks for stopping by! Jeanne

  2. sunshineinlondon

    December 21, 2010 at 5:24 am

    I feel exhausted and hyped just reading your post, Jeanne. That was quite a day. Hope you managed to shut down enough to get a good night’s sleep.
    Lovely photos.
    Sunshine xx

    • flyinggma

      December 21, 2010 at 8:33 am

      It was quite a day. Not exactly what I had planned but at least the last of the shopping is done. I don’t need another trip to town on the awful roads. The rest of the week should be a little calmer I hope. Jeanne

  3. writerwoman61

    December 21, 2010 at 9:09 am

    Wow, Jeanne…after all that coffee, it’s a wonder your hands were steady enough to type…hope the rest of the week is quieter for you!

    Don’t quite get the guy buying the car after his wife died…I think I’d be a little too busy with other things…makes me wonder…


    • flyinggma

      December 21, 2010 at 9:23 am

      The guy has been waiting for weeks for the truck to come in and it finally arrived and we got it ready a few days before his wife died. Then she took a turn for the worst unexpectedly and his other truck was to the point of being unreliable in the middle of everything. He needed transportation and we had to get the paperwork done for liability purposes because until we did that we are liable while he was driving our truck.

      We are already being sued for an accident that happened on a test drive. The son of a customer drove a truck that his Dad brought home and T-boned another vehicle. No one died in the accident but the two occupants are suing us because we hadn’t done the paperwork to transfer ownership yet to the new owner.

      • writerwoman61

        December 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm

        That’s awful! Hope everything works out for you…


      • flyinggma

        December 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm

        I’m sure it will all work out in the end but it’s a little unnerving being served with papers that tell you that you are being sued. The fact that we only gave permission to the father to drive the truck should help in the long run I hope.

  4. 36x37

    December 21, 2010 at 9:25 am

    You woke at 2:30 to drive a friend to an airport two hours away? In the snow? Now that’s what I call friendship!

    I hope all that coffee did the trick for you, and I hope you got a good night’s sleep. 🙂

  5. flyinggma

    December 21, 2010 at 9:44 am

    She is a dear friend and she has had a rough year. Her husband left her for a younger women after 25 + years of marriage and her mom just died on last Monday. I hope that she is the one who can get a good night’s sleep.

  6. Todd Pack

    December 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm

    I’ve always heard that a true friend is one who’ll drive you to the airport. I hope your friend appreciates what a great friend you are.

    It’s a shame it was cloudy and you couldn’t even see the eclipse!

  7. flyinggma

    December 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

    I was looking forward to the eclipse because I just purchased a telescope a couple of weeks ago. So far not much star gazing with the weather we have had lately. Too cloudy or snowing.

    My friend is awesome and I appreciate her for the friend she is to me . I am always up for a trip to the airport since I got my private pilot’s certificate. Jeanne


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: