RSS

Halfway to the Finishline

16 Apr

Its been almost two years since my journey began in learning how to fly.  Today I was prepared to take my checkride with my examiner.  Last evening I found out where I had to plan my cross-country trip to for the examiner.  I began planning around 8pm and finished my 10pm.  I wanted to get to bed early so I wasn’t tired for my checkride.  I crawled into bed by 10:30pm and had the most frustrating night of sleep.  I finally fell asleep and had a night filled with dreams.  I told my CFI that I would tell her one of the dreams I had about my checkride but only after I had completed my checkride.

I got to the airport by 8am so I could input the current weather and preflight the airplane for the checkride.  My examiner arrived at 9:30 for our checkride at 10am.  We began with making sure all of my documentation was in order.  After we finished with the documentation he began by explaining what the oral exam would include.  He began asking me questions and I started answering them.  The time seemed to go fast and I was surprised that the topics that I really stressed about were never asked about.  When we were all finished he reviewed a couple of items that I answered incorrectly and why my answers were incorrect.  I looked at the clock when he said we were finished and a hour and a half had passed.

Next he told me to go and check the current weather and decide if we were going to complete the flight portion as well today.  When I got to the airport this morning I was concerned at the winds for the day and the gust factor as well.  I thought maybe they would lessen as the day went on but at 11:30 they had not yet lessened.  At one point the examiner saw me staring at the weather report and said  “Staring at the report will not make it change.  I’ve been there before”    I told him that I wanted to wait until 11:53am when the new METAR would be out.  I decided to go and preflight the airplane while I waited for the new METAR.  My decision was that if the winds and the gust factor increased that I would not go and if they decreased to my flight limits then I would go. 

When I finished preflighting the plane I checked the weather and the winds had increased my 1 knot from 16 to  17 kts and the gust factor from 23 to 26 kts.  So I went in and found the examiner that I was choosing not to continue with the flight test portion of my checkride.  He said that we would go tomorrow morning at 8am if the weather was good.  So far it looks much better than today and now I am stressing about the flight portion for tomorrow.  I hope I can get some sleep tonight.

Tomorrow morning before my flight I need to input the current weather into my cross-country plan and get to the airport and preflight the airplane.  I really want to be able to pass it on my first try but I am concerned that I will forget to do something important or not be able to do my landings within PTS standards.  They seem to be my weakest point.  Hopefully the stars will align tomorrow morning and I will be able to remember and do what I need to complete my flight test.

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on April 16, 2010 in Flight training

 

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: